Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ah...turkey soup

I love making soup. It's one of those things where you have to most license and leeway. There are no rules.

If you want a thick soup...make it thick. You want it spicy...make it spicy.

To finish off my thanksgiving turkey, I decided to make a creamy turkey soup. How does one make a soup creamy you ask?

Simple. Flour!

So here is the basic run down of how I made my soup. The measurements are not exact, but it is a great model for how to make a creamy anything soup.

First, I sauteed a cup of diced carrots, a cup of diced onion, and a cup of chopped leeks until soft. This was done in a copious amount of butter (1 stick) and a little bacon fat (YUM) over medium heat.

Next, add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of flour. Cook for about 10-15 minutes. Undercooking a roux will leave a floury taste to your soup.

Now, add your stock. Oh did I mention you need to make a stock? Here is a link to help you out with that - Turkey Stock.

Turn up the heat, start adding your stock and stir. Your soup will begin to thicken. Add enough stock to get the consistency that works for you.

Add chopped turkey. I like my soup meaty so I add ALOT. You should add as much as you want. Again, there are no rules when making soup!

Now add about 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped thyme or any other spice/herb that will make your soup delicious.

Salt and pepper to taste.

I also add about a 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream to really cream it up. You can do the same...maybe a bit of sour cream for some tang? Psst, there are no rules.

Have you made a soup before? Tell me all about it!

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=978bc903e4c9a33e7ba7981e3a2ea6b4