Rule number one for pancakes: They must be homemade. So, please put down the bisquick or whatever awful instant pancake mix your using and follow these simple instructions.
This recipe is based on ratios of ingredients to each other so you'll need a kitchen scale to follow along. If you don't have one, invest.
The ratio for pancake batter is 2,2,1,1/2
Thats 2 parts flour, 2 parts milk, 1 part egg, and 1/2 part oil.
* Put a mixing bowl on your scale and zero out. Now crack one egg into the bowl. What's it weigh?
* Pour double the weight of the egg in milk into the bowl.
* Pour 1/2 the weight of the egg in oil into the bowl.
* Add a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* In a separate bowl, add double the weight of the egg in flour to the bowl.
* Add the weight of the egg in sugar to the bowl. Yes the ratio doesn't call for sugar, but you NEED it.
* Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder
* Add 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
* Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and make pancakes!
On The Table With Anthony Bourdain
2 years ago